The city was first attested in 1235 AD under the name Corona, a Latin word meaning “crown”, a name given by the German colonists. According to Binder, the current Romanian and Hungarian names are derived from the Turkic word barasu, meaning “white water” with a Slavic suffix -ov.Other linguists proposed various etymologies including an Old Slavic anthroponym Brasa The City The first attested mention of Brașov is Terra Saxonum de Barasu (“Saxon Land of Baras”) in a 1252 document. The German name Kronstadt means “Crown City” and is reflected in the city’s coat of arms as well as in its Medieval Latin name, Corona. The two names of the city, Kronstadt and Corona, were used simultaneously in the Middle Ages.From 1950 to 1960, during part of the Communist period in Romania, the city was called Orașul Stalin (Stalin City), after the Soviet leader Joseph Stalin.The second halfof the nineteenthcentury andearly twentiethcentury The transformation from a medieval town into a modern city imposed extension to the north-east (toward Old and Blumana) and west (toward Schei), by demolishing the fortified seat of the city that began in 1857 (Gate Street Gate and fortifications therein), Street Wear Black (1873), Fair Gate Horses (1874), Bastion (1886), Bastion harness (1887). The old moats, ponds and swamps were filled, rose administrative and public buildings, schools, barracks and houses were decorated parks and promenades.