Arc de Triuph
In Bucharest were raised and other triumphal arches, with temporary existence in 1848, 1859, 1878, 1906 and 1918, but after World War it was decided to build a permanent monument. In 1922, during Bucharest mayor Gheorghe Matei mandate. Corbescu (February 1922 – December 1922) in Bucharest organized a parade in honor of Great Union. Since 1918 Arc de Triomphe was constructed of a material that does not withstand the rains, Mayor Matt Gh. Corbescu came with the proposal to be raised as a new Arc de Triomphe, wood, until they find the money by imposing one. He was criticized for his initiative and then Mayor George Enescu wrote: “But the real Arc de Triomphe on you?” Therefore, in 1922, in the context of the coronation of King Ferdinand and Queen Mary as sovereigns of Greater Romania committee for organizing the coronation festivities turned to architect Petre Antonescu to raise a majestic Arc de Triomphe in the north of the capital, on the road Kiselev. Because of the short time but only the skeleton construction was cast in concrete, beautiful exterior was made of plaster reliefs, which caused – once the coronation festivities concluded (October 16, 1922, when he organized a show, evoking the Romanian people’s struggle for state unity, the festivities by participating representatives from over 20 European countries, the USA and Japan, which signified a broad international recognition of the new national realities state) – a progressive degradation caused by weather, appearance Outer Arc de Triumph in the early 1930s reaching a “monument inconvenient” for the image of “Little Paris” wars. The population, and especially the many associations and societies of former combatants of the First World War contributed over 7 million lei to build the Arc de Triomphe, responding promptly launched subscriptions during 1935, the Ministry of Defence. Once collected the necessary amounts 1936 was entirely devoted to the completion of the monument, which was built in Deva granite in classic style, modeled on the great Arc de Triomphe Paris. Its shape is that of a cuboid, with a foundation of 25 x 11,5m and a height of 27m. The monument has a height of 11m, a width of 9,5m and a dome. The pillars, on which the monument had staircase, leading to its terrace. Architect Victor G. Ştefănescu was tasked with administrative and technical control of the work, which began in April 1935 and lasted a year and a half. Inauguration ceremony took place on 1 December 1936, when it was 18 years since the Union of Transylvania with Romania. The moment was marked by the participation of King Charles II, his mother, Queen Mary, Crown Prince Michael, members of the Romanian government and numerous guests of honor from the country and abroad. After the Communists came to power in Romania, the Arc de Triomphe was “crippled” by removing the sides of the two texts of proclamations by the country Ferdinand, during Romania’s entry into the war of wholeness and during the coronation of Alba Iulia in 1922. There have also been removed from the frontispiece of the monument on the southern effigies of King Ferdinand and Queen Mary’s, made by sculptor Alexander Călinescu, and were destroyed, being substituted by two large stone flowers. Since 1989, the flowers of stone were removed, were mounted two bronze medallions, depicting the faces of King Ferdinand and Queen Maria, replacing the original ones, but the lettering on the side panels also remained Martel.